Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Thursday: Member of the Month

Please remember that on Saturday we will be closed due to the Team Grit competition.
Come and support your fellow CFUers at the Hampton Roads Sports Festival http://visithampton.com/event/fourth-annual-hampton-va-sports-festival/

If you are competing please remember that you must bring your own jump rope to the event.
If you don't have one you can buy one from us, we have extras (you will have to cut your length)....we will not be lending out the jump ropes.

Skill Work

WOD
Tabata like this and Tabata like that
Tabata
Supine Ring Rows
Squats
Sit Ups
Plyo Push Ups with slam ball

Dan and Deb!


1. When did you start CrossFit and why?
January 2009. I retired from the Navy in 2007 and was looking for a better way to stay in shape than hitting the gym and running (BORING!). In the fall of 2008 I checked out a local Crossfit affiliate and they let me do a WOD for free. Unfortunately the dues were a little steep, so I did what every guy would do; I complained to my wife. She then surprised me by getting us both memberships for Christmas and the rest is history.
2. What keeps you coming back for more?
I’ve always believed that during your life you’ll be tested…physically, mentally, emotionally…and the wellbeing of your loved ones will depend on how well you’ve prepared. That’s not paranoia, it’s just life. Crossfit helps in those areas, giving you the physical tools to do what’s necessary, mental toughness to get through crappy or dangerous situations, and emotional fortitude to endure when everyone else wants to give up. I plan to participate in the Open every year until I run out of life.
Being able to work out with Debbie makes it all worthwhile. I spent a lot of time away during my career and cherish every moment with her now. Besides, imagine if I had to stay at home while she went off to sweat with all the shirtless animals at CFU!

3. If you could create your own BenchMark WOD what would it be named and what would the WOD be?
Four rounds
400m sprint, 100 Double unders, 25 GHD Abs, 25 GHD Back, 15 Handstand pushups
I’d call it “Face Plant”
4. Favorite WOD or Lift?
Murph. I can think of nothing better than strapping on body armor and working myself to exhaustion in honor of a Navy Medal of Honor recipient. It’s the very least any of us can do.
5. Least Favorite WOD or lift and why?
“Karen” Do I really have to explain why 150 Wall Ball shots is my least favorite workout? Not to mention it was in the Open last year and I didn’t finish it. Spent too much time working on the double unders and muscle ups…then didn’t get to that part.
6. If you could do 100 unbroken of anything....what would it be?
Double unders.
7. If you had to convince someone to start Crossfit in less than 10 words what would you say?
Life will test you; PREPARE NOW. 3-2-1-GO!
(That sounded better than "Lots of hot chicks in spandex!")

No comments:

Post a Comment