Monday, April 22, 2013

Tuesday and Member of the Month!


Skill and Strength
Split Jerks
We will be drilling split jerks and breaking down the form extensively 

10 minute EMOM
2 Split Jerks (going up in weight each minute if you can)


And for the CFU leader board....
Max rep double unders in one minute 
You will have three attempts to establish as many double unders as you can in one minute ( you have three separate minutes/three separate chances)

SAVE THE DATE
Friday May 3rd we will be running a fundraiser WOD for the people affected by the Boston bombings as well as the people affected by the Texas fertilizer explosion. 
We will split the money raised so that 1/2 goes to The One Fund (Boston) and 1/2 go The West Texas Disaster Relief Efforts Fund by Waco Foundation. The WOD will run for each class hour. We will share the links so that people can donate directly online, or we will accept cash only at CFU to send in. 

Preston, Member of the Month for April 



  • 1. How long have you been CrossFitting? 
    Almost a year and a half, I started in December of 2011
    2. What made you take the jump and try it out? 

    I had been really busy at work the year before, my diet had gotten really bad, and I was gaining weight which had never happened when I was in my twenties. I found myself on a slippery slope and I could see myself waking up five or ten years later, with serious health problems. The final straw was when my wife told me I was on my way to 'Fatville', and I knew I had to make a big change.
    3. Biggest changes you've had?
    Everything about life improved, I lost 25 pounds and stopped smoking, but more than that, my relationship with my wife and kids got better, because they could see my outlook change, not just my appearance. CrossFit has brought my wife, Tanya, and I closer and gave us something we can enjoy together, and that's a huge gift.
    4. Did you have any obstacles to overcome when you first started? 

    My biggest obstacle was probably general mobility. I'm a software engineer who has sat at a desk for 15 years, so shoulder and back mobility was awful. When I started, I would break a sweat just thinking about an Overhead squat.
    5. What is your favorite lift or workout?My favorite lift is the Snatch, but I think my favorite workout is Fight Gone Bad, I have done it four times, and it never gets easier.
    6. Least favorite and why? 

    Anything with Overhead Squats, it's my arch nemesis! It comes up in a WOD, and I dream about it the night before, but I'm determined to beat it though
    7. If you could make up a WOD and name it anything you want what would it be called and what would the WOD consist of? 

    It would probably have 800 m runs, pull ups and snatches, and I would name it Tanya, because any WOD that makes me run like I'm being chased by a zombie, will take my breath away, and then make me excited to do it all again, should probably be dedicated to my wife.
    8. CrossFit is a means of exercise but a lot of people take what they gain from CrossFit and transfer it over into their daily life, have you had an experience where CrossFit not only helped you physically but mentally as well? 

    CFU taught me how to organize my time and prioritize better. You can't get up at 4:30 am and work out like we do, without being prepared, drinking enough water, sleeping right and eating the right foods. Doing that for CrossFit showed me how to do that with the other parts of my life. In my day job, I manage people and projects, and you can't do either without the right preparation.
    9. If you could choose a CrossFit Games athletes to do a WOD with who would it be and why?

     SPEALLER! I'm a small guy, so it's hard to relate to somebody twice my size snatching 275. Chris Spealler is a beast, but it's like a David and Goliath scenario when he competes, and I can definitely relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment